Pediatric nursing becomes a specialty in the nineteenth century, particularly in the second half of the century. Prior to being recognized as a specialty, this work was carried out by women who assisted at births and contributed traditional (often natural) medicine to the development of children.
Prior to that century, babies were not taken into account by the medical side, but it wasn’t until the Middle Ages that it was recognized that children have brains.
Since then, pediatric nursing has evolved in an innovative and resourceful manner, with numerous tools used to ensure the health of children and their families during their development and growth.
We can ask, but what are the current trends in pediatric nursing? Very nice. To understand the present and the future, we must first understand the past, so we will explain: the origins of the profession, the trends of pediatric nursing, the competencies of this specialty, and other relevant information.
The origins of pediatric nursing
The first maternal and infant care appeared at the end of the 16th century, but it was performed by physicians. However, pediatric issues began to emerge in ancient Egypt, where these practices were performed primarily by women, who were known as “givers” or “midwives.”
However, it is not until the Middle Ages that Egyptian and Greek physicians, with their advancements, consider the extremely valuable need to care for children from birth to a certain stage of development. It is also acknowledged that the child has a soul.
The difficulty of their care resulted in their abandonment at the doors of hospitals or churches, especially at night. This type of practice was carried out by all types of people, both upper and lower class, it is said that they did it under the concept of “love of neighbor”.
As time progresses, we are already in the thirteenth century, where several scientific works were carried out. In this century, wet nurses had to perform the functions of the mother in a poor home, except for breastfeeding, cleaning the child, talking to it, feeding it, among other things.
In the 15th century, in a hospital in Barcelona, a regulation began in which the woman had to take care of the children, besides, she had to be honest, notable and of good manners. We can finish in the 19th century where the first pediatric hospital in Philadelphia was founded.
In that same century, pediatric nursing was already a professional career. The United States established nursing schools, the first nurse graduated in 1873 in Boston.
Trends in pediatric nursing
Pediatric nursing has always aimed to provide care to children, having the ability to clearly express what is happening to family members. This specialty is based on all the cycles of the mother from the time she has the child until her final stage of adolescence.
All of us adults have reached the present age because we grew up as healthy children, thanks to a pediatric nurse and medical specialist who comes up with strategies that benefit our health and well-being.
Now then, we will explain to you about the trends in pediatric nursing, below:
- Pediatric nursing, currently, is oriented to achieve the successful goal in desired pregnancies, keeping the mother healthy and as a result the birth of a healthy child. Also, it is important to have the right family environment.
- Pediatric nurses should extend their training to enable and facilitate their knowledge where they perform their vocation. It is important that, if the pediatric nurse is dedicated to it, to make her updates on the subject, as she will be able to assume higher levels in the field.
- Specialists must develop their competencies to provide quality care to children and families. In addition, they will be much more capable of being involved within the child’s developmental environment, benefiting their health care.
- Pediatric nursing should not only influence children’s illnesses, but also be aware of trends in the country where it influences, knowing the scientific, economic, cultural and social development.
Pediatric nursing education goes far beyond specialization in children and medication administration, it requires a lot of knowledge to provide quality care to each patient, being involved in every detail that arises within this vocation.
Currently, nursing students must seek new learning trends, to further develop their knowledge, in addition, to enter the field of research, thus achieving the autonomy of this valuable profession. This requires people who have the vocation and conviction to represent pediatric nursing.
Pediatric Nursing Competencies
Actually, the competencies of pediatric nurses are not very different from those of pediatric-trained professionals. The World Health Organization stresses the importance of treating newborn babies, children and adolescents as a priority in any healthcare system.
Let us remember that children are the future of a society, their development and growth depends on how valuable they can be in their future life contributing to a much better society.
Previously, we mentioned within the trends a little about the competencies of pediatric nursing specialists, we think it is important to highlight that these are worked and acquired by the student and developed in health centers.
Among the competence of pediatric nursing we should highlight the following:
- Facility to communicate effectively and efficiently with healthcare and non-healthcare specialists. This, in order to favor the exchange of information that is useful to the provision of care.
- Ability to lead health teams with group coordination activities. In addition, being able to lead clinic processes.
- Promote health education in child and adolescent patients, so that they have a better lifestyle, likewise, promoting disease prevention.
- Detect and act appropriately in suspected situations of child mistreatment or abuse, maintaining the protocols that are established in case of these situations.
- Within its nursing services, it must plan the care when discharging a child from hospitalization. Where a report should be prepared with the care to be followed, health care checks, professionals to be attended and other important services.
- Evaluate the child with disability or chronic process, thus identifying the degree of dependency, care to be followed, resources and social supports. Also, all health services required to meet their needs.
Taking a look at the past has allowed us to favor current trends, where pediatric nursing plays a very important role for the development of a society. We were all once children, thanks to care and good health we can be professionals or specialists in many branches for the betterment of society.
However, finishing with the competencies helps us to understand much better the trends of pediatric nursing, encouraging the study of this valuable specialization from centuries ago, until today.
If you want to study pediatric nursing, it will be a profession that requires long-term knowledge.