Job responsibilities of a pediatric nurse practitioner
Since ancient times, pediatric nurses have played a very important role in the development of children from birth. Today, this profession is recognized and valued by many families.
However, pediatric nursing professionals must undergo internships to achieve an adequate professional profile and develop greater skills. Studying pediatric nursing is a great choice, being one of the most important professions.
We will explain you the functions of pediatric nursing internships, where you can study this profession, what is the price of studying pediatric nursing and how the professional profile should be. This information is essential if you want to train in this specialty, read on.
Pediatric Nursing Practice Roles
Pediatric nursing is very different from adult nursing. Children are in full development, this specialty is so deep that it takes care of children from their birth to give continuity to all their development until the end of adolescence.
Care can be much more delicate, as we know, children cannot communicate adequately, much less when they are newborns, therefore, recognizing the ailment from a non-verbal communication is the responsibility of the pediatric nurse.
While, practices in pediatric nursing are carried out when the specialist is at an advanced stage of the university career, to be able to obtain the skills, competencies and training to solve problems, thus exercising their role in any type of work.
- The future specialist must address health problems in the child, correctly using each tool according to the knowledge acquired safely.
- Will be able to communicate more effectively when addressing patients, relatives or other specialists.
- The pediatric nurse will develop in practice greater cognitive, technical and interpersonal skills to finish their professional training.
- The specialist must take children’s temperature and blood pressure, as well as temperature, height and weight, where he/she will be able to gain greater confidence in communicating all of the infant’s characteristics.
- One of the most important functions and responsibilities of the internship is the treatment of children to make them feel safer and calmer during their visit to the doctor, as well as serious injuries or uncomfortable situations for them.
Pediatric nursing graduates are trained with scientific, philosophical and epistemological theories, which must be updated from time to time, but practice is fundamental to correctly carry out each of the procedures.
Responsibilities of pediatric nurses
Once we have understood all the functions acquired during the nursing internship, we can know the responsibilities that each professional must fulfill from the birth of the baby.
The responsibility of pediatric nurses is quite extensive, it remains in the development of children until the end of their adolescence. Pediatric nurses may experience the flu in a 2-year-old while treating a 15-year-old with an injury. Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintain effective communication with the physician and other specialists, this is conducive to the exchange of information about the care of children.
- Have the ability to interact with infants, children and adolescents, to get temperature, blood pressure, among other data that may be needed, while keeping them calm.
- Assess each child’s context to detect anomalies and needs. The pediatric nurse should plan the intervention and solve problems correctly in the hands of another specialist.
- Maintain organized control over care activity and services within the pediatric area.
- Communication skills among the patient’s family members, either to handle situations of stress, despair, distress or fear. Pediatric nurses’ patience must be worked on for all types of situations.
Where to study pediatric nursing?
If you are interested in starting to study pediatric nursing, it is a very good choice. The United States has the best internationally recognized universities, where specializing in any of them can open great opportunities.
It is worth mentioning that there are more than 600 institutions in the United States to study pediatric nursing. However, we will explain the best universities to study pediatric nursing:
- University of Pennsylvania: the School of Nursing is among the most crowded by students who wish to specialize in this important profession. In addition, top students can get scholarships and learn from the best nursing professors in the world.
- University of California-Los Angeles: better known by its acronym UCLA: the most popular research university internationally, it has even been seen winning Nobel prizes. Studying pediatric nursing at this university can be a great option, plus, your internship is at the Hong Kong Sanatorium Hospital.
- New York University: NYU develops links with the most important universities in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean. This university offers quality education to every pediatric nurse specialist. Also, the educators are international.
- Columbia University: the School of Nursing has contributed plans all over the country, where it has obtained important appointments, as well as World Health Organization Collaborating Center in Advanced Practice Nursing. Nursing students will be able to be graduates with very important professional profiles.
- University of Illinois: to finish our list of the best universities to study pediatric nursing. This university is among the top 10 nursing education programs in the U.S. The professionals awarded at the university have great opportunities around the world.
How much does it cost to study pediatric nursing?
The tuition to study pediatric nursing does not exceed the average cost of a college degree in the United States, between $25,000 and $46,000 per course. We will explain you a list of other universities where to study pediatric nursing with favorable prices:
- Columbia University: $44,000 – $46,000.
- Harvard University: $40,000 – $42,000
- UCLA (University of California-Los Angeles): $34,000 – $36,000
- University of Alabama: $25,000 – $27,000
- Stanford University: $40,000 – $46,000
Now, according to the listing of the prices of some of the best universities, you will be able to determine where to practice pediatric nursing specialty. Each of them remain positioned among the globally recognized universities.
Pediatric nurse professional profile
The profile of the pediatric nurse plays a very important role from the birth of children, where, beyond offering their pediatric services, they must have knowledge and impact on the child’s mood and development.
The functions performed by a pediatric nurse practicing their specialty in a hospital or clinical center, are the following:
- Perform follow-up on the child’s temperature.
- Assisting the physician in performing tests on the child.
- Administering medications and injections when necessary.
- Maintain good communication with family members about the child’s condition.
- Performing dressing changes and wound healing
- Keeping your knowledge up to date with new research and theories
- Imparting good habits in children and family members, which will be beneficial in their growth.
To conclude, we can highlight the importance of pediatric nursing practices to be exercised in the graduated professional. Each of its functions are crucial in any medical field, with communication skills, confidence and security for families and children.
The universities where this specialty is studied will promote different tools, so it is important to choose carefully each program to be studied.