The U.S. Department of Labor points out that the nursing profession is one of the most demanded in the country, likewise, they maintain the best options to get a job in the year 2022, which is ahead of other scientific and technological studies.
The vacancies, according to research by the aforementioned department, ensures that it will have an estimate of more than 520,000 new ones. Pediatric nursing is behind the specialization of Medicine and Surgery, which has the first place in demands for professions in medicine.
While, in the U.S. Department of Labor’s listing, nursing is ranked 15th, the list is closed by technical engineers. So if you are interested in studying pediatric nursing, read on, the topics below will be of interest to you.
Where do pediatric nurses work?
Pediatric nurses should consider their profession more than a high-demand job in the country, it should be a vocation. Pediatric nurses specialize in the needs of children from birth to late adolescence.
In addition, family members should also receive information and proper treatment by pediatric nurses. Together with the pediatrician, they must be dedicated to the health in the development of children, but where can a pediatric nurse practice, we explain:
- Public or private hospitals: where their role is quite strict, demonstrating in full their knowledge of pediatric nursing at any time and with any age. Being able to advise on the specialization to which children or adolescents should go.
- Educational centers: children in school can be exposed to any disease, virus or injury, so the role of a pediatric nurse is crucial. She must have the ability to administer appropriate medications or injections, dress wounds, and know the severity of the incident to report to the representative.
- Home medical consultations: pediatric nurses can be of great help with children who have a need where the professional must exercise their expertise for the child’s well-being.
- Counseling in healthcare settings: care is important for all children, regardless of race, religion, and economic means. Pediatric nurses must have tolerance, empathy and communicative kindness.
These are just a few of the places where pediatric nurses practice. The functions are extensive, so many work settings may require their professional profile. In addition, children have daily activities and because of their development, they can get sick.
Find a pediatric nursing job that’s right for you
As we mentioned earlier, the demand in the United States for pediatric nurses is very high, but this doesn’t mean that the best offers will come on their own; however, opting for a good specialization scenario can broaden your growth as a professional.
If you want to pursue a career in pediatric nursing, you can turn to these settings for greater chances of a good job:
- In Nursing Schools in the United States, you can turn to the job placement office. Also, it is important that you network very well and have contacts in this specialization.
- In hospitals there is more demand for pediatric nurses, if it is not your favorite space, you should get the experience and practice in other places where you require more specialization and experience, which is key.
- The more you show effort in your specialization, get advanced certifications and have good training, the easier it will be to get the job you want as a pediatric nurse.
What other accreditations can be obtained by pediatric nurses?
In this section we will continue what we mentioned before, about the accreditations and additional knowledge that pediatric nurses must have. Indeed, living with children and their families can be a difficult job that requires a lot of training.
The knowledge acquired during all the years at the university is important to be able to practice this profession, but education does not stop. There are other courses or specializations where you can deepen in other important aspects, so you can get more performance as a professional.
Now, improving your job expectations will be a matter of having a lot of enthusiasm, but above all vocation to continue as a professional. Some of the certifications that you can obtain in addition to the university career, are the following:
- Pediatric nurses with MSN can become clinical nurse specialists, which must face a nationwide exam. If you are a pediatric nurse practitioner and get the CNS certification you will have a better chance of having more job openings.
- The MSN degree can also be a boost to getting the PNP certification, which is ideal for getting excellent job offers. Once a pediatric nurse gets this certification you will be able to prescribe medications in 50 U.S. states.
Finally, we will highlight the answer to the initial question “are pediatric nurses in high demand?”, definitely yes. Their work is very broad, each of their functions is valued in many spaces where children are present.
In addition, data from the country affirm that it is one of the most demanded and well paid professions nationally and internationally. If you want to study pediatric nursing, it is an excellent option to become a professional.